Family Support Specialist (FSS)
The Family Support Specialist (FSS) works with an assigned case load of families to provide a full range of services, including parent support and education, enrollment/eligibility, health and social services, and other case management functions.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY TASKS
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with children and families in programs.
- Implement a designated parent education/involvement curriculum model, and work with parents to support and enhance their role of first Teacher with the children.
- Reach out to parents to share activities from the curriculum for the parents to do with their child.
- Support and partner with parents in positive role modeling. Help parents build their skills as parents in order to support growth, development and education of their child(ren).
- Provide in-house supportive services to parents and families on a short-term basis, as appropriate, and under the supervision of the position’s supervisor.
- Make referrals to outside agencies and follow up on referrals, as appropriate.
- Ensure agency compliance with all contractual and audit requirements for specific program coordinator.
- Plan field trips appropriate for program needs.
- Participate in staffing associated with individualized planning for children.
- Responsible for leveraging resources and services for children, youth and families in the program.
- Act as liaison between agency staff and external organizations that provide social services.
- Advocate on behalf of children, youth, and families.
- Implement informational seminars and support service sessions for parents which promote positive family relationships, address parental concerns, disseminate information, and provide a comfortable forum for parents to share and receive support and feedback.
- Complete intake and complete paperwork and documentation of eligibility for Head start, Subsidized Child Care, Child and Adult Care Food program, and all other contractual funding sources.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Applicants for the position of Family Support Specialist shall possess a B.A. degree in Social Work, Human Services, or a related field. Must have at least 1 year experience working with children and their families.
- Must have at least 1 year experience working with children and their families.
- Must have good oral and written communication skills.
- Must possess clerical and record keeping competence.
- Demonstrated computer skills – proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Bilingual (Spanish) proficiency preferred.
Carole Robertson Center for Learning is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. Carole Robertson Center for Learning evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally protected characteristics.
Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should
call (312) 243-7300 ext. 226 with their request.